Monday, February 21, 2011

Sweet azuki beans

あんこ(Annko) is the sweet azuki bean paste in Japanese. I just love them. Azuki is widely used in Japanese cakes and desserts, including Mochi, Dango, ice cream, cakes, and there is even something like a sweet azuki bean soup called "Zenzai".

There are two ways to prepare the sweet azuki paste. One is called "Tsubu Ann". In this way, the azuki beans are mashed roughly so that you can still feel the texture of soft skin of beans. The other is called "Koshi Ann". In this way, the azuki beans are mashed and strained so that the texture is so smooth and you don't get any skins.

So, maybe I should stop my "Azuki lecture" here, and get back to where I'm coming from...

Yes, I cooked Azuki beans. You can see it... I know they don't look particularly pretty YET. But they will turn into a lovely cute Japanese sweets. I promise.... please come back tomorrow....

Oh, here is how to make Annko:
Ingredients

Dried azuki beans 250g
Sugar 150g
Salt pinch

1. Soak the beans overnight.
2. Put the beans in a large pot with enough water to cover the beans. Bring it to boil.
3. When the water is boiled, pour the water away and replace with fresh water. Bring it boil again.
4. Turn the heat down. Add sugar and salt. Simmer until the beans are soft.
5. Mash them in the way you like. 

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

2 comments:

  1. My partner is half-Japanese and I've made this dish for him in the past. It's so simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Maria. Yep, it's the taste of home for me:)

    ReplyDelete