Thursday, March 10, 2011

Petite tofu cakes

Yesterday I bought a baking recipe book, which came with a pretty silicon cake mould. In fact..., I wanted the cake mould... that's why I bought the book... Anyway, I'm a sort of person who wants to try new clothes, shoes, etc immediately, and a cake mould isn't an exception.

I wanted to do something Japanese... I thought... "what can I use..?"  The answer was in my mum's fridge! Tofu, yes..., Tofu! It might sound wired to those who aren't familiar with this soy based food, but the tofu cakes and desserts are consider to be healthier option and popular in Japan.

So..., let's try it... Since tofu has a lot of water and give a cake unique texture and flavour, I decided not to use any oil. It already sounds healthy, right?

The tofu cake mixture was very fluffy. Even when the cakes were still in the oven, I could smell of soy and maple. After 15 minutes, they came out... looking good..., light and soft, nice texture. Immediately, I tasted the piece...
"Oooh, tofu worked!"
Yes, it was indeed a success:) Thanks, Otokomae tofu Ken-chan! (that's the name of tofu I used. it means "Handsome tofu Ken-chan..., funny name...)

Try it when you can get tofu;) Good for breakfast too:D

Ingredients;

Tofu 120g
Flour 100g
Baking powder 1 tsp
Egg 1
Sugar 2 tsp
Maple syrup 2 tbsp

1. Preheat the oven to 180º. Mix egg and sugar until it's fluffy. Add Maple syrup, mix well.
2. Add tofu, mix well.
3. Sift flour and baking powder into 2.
4. Pour the mixture in to the mould. Bake in the preheated oven (180º) for 15 minutes.

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment