Thursday, July 7, 2011

七夕 (Tanabata)

In Japan, July 7 is a festival called Tanabata (七夕), which celebrate the deities of Orihime (織姫) and Hikoboshi (彦星). The story is like this... Orihime (the star Vega) and Hikoboshi (the star Altair) are lovers but somehow (sorry but I don't remember why...) they are separated by the milky way, and allowed to see each other only on July 7. However, if the sky is not clear enough for them to find the way, they won't be able to meet and have to wait until another year... Quite romantic... no?

We celebrate Tanabata by writing wishes on a small piece of paper and hanging them on a bamboo tree... So, I carried out the custom in my way. It's tough to find a proper bamboo tree in London, but I did find a little one... I baked some star and heart shaped cookies to decorate the tree, and of course the wishes... I think this is good enough ;D

Luckily here in London the rain has stopped and the sky is clearing up now, so hopefully they can see each other tonight... (hum... though I'm not sure whether the British weather matters to them or not...)

Anyway... have a good night to Orihime-san and Hikoboshi-san... ;p

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment