Monday, July 18, 2011

Purple sweet potato cake

Amongst of all those potatoes out there, this Purple Sweet Potato is..., I believe, the most unique one. Purple sweet potato (we call it "紫いも (Murasaki Imo)" is very popular in Japan, and especially in Okinawa , where the purple sweet potatoes are originated, we can find a lot of purple sweet potato sweets such as ice creams, cakes, tarts and many more.

Not only do these potatoes taste nice and sweet, but also they have a very vivid purple colour, which is perfect when you're making a eye-catching cakes or desserts.

Today I used a packet of purple potato powder that I brought back from Japan to make petite purple potato cake :) As soon as I started mixing in the purple potato powder, the mixture got... well, very very purple ... like a beetroot... and that indescribable homely smell of sweet potato hit my nose.... :) Ahaah, bless me...  Oooh, have a look at the picture! See..., how bright they are!

Unfortunately, I don't know where we can find purple sweet potatoes in the UK although I saw something similar in Whole Foods...  So, please let me know if you see one ;D

Ingredients;

Flour 170g
Purple potato powder 80g
Sugar 100g
Baking powder 1 tsp
Butter 100g
Egg 2
Honey 20g

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºc. Cream butter and sugar together until it's fluffy.
2. Add eggs into 1, and mix well.
3. Add honey into 2, and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, purple potato powder, and baking powder, and mix well.
5. Fold in 4 into 3.
6. Pour the mixture into cupcake moulds. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment