Friday, February 8, 2013

French style bread

One of the things I want to master this year is to bake nice crusty french style bread at home (I've currently got only a very very small oven that only goes up to 230Âșc.). I've been reading about tips and techniques about how to get a nice crust outside and air pockets inside.

Yesterday I attempted to bake crusty french style bread based on what I've read.
Here are some of the things I did:
1) I made starter the day before. (I mixed strong 125g flour, 75g water, and yeast 1g.)
2) I proved the dough in the fridge overnight.
3) I didn't knead the dough but used a wooded spatula to form the dough.
4) I added more water than I normally do.
5) Baked in higher temperature.

... And the result was... ok, I don't think it was quite there yet, but it was not bad. It was crusty outside and the texture was nicely chewy. However, there wasn't enough air pockets, and the round shape ones became a bit flat. I think I overproofed the dough.. I also think I should have added a little less water and a little more salt.

It was still lovely to dip in the soup and after all they were tasty and we did destroy them all... They kind of grew on us as we ate...

There is definitely a room for improvements. I can't wait to try it again soon and will be updating the progress to my perfect french style bread.

If anyone have any tips or advice, please let me know! :D


Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment