Monday, February 11, 2013

Flaky square bread

I bought a couple of square bread tins in Japan. They are about 10cm  and come with a lid so you can bake a perfect square bread. Pretty cool. ;D

I tried out one of the recipes that I've had in mind for a while, which involves puff pastry. I wasn't sure whether it would work or not, but the result was pretty good.

The bread was very soft so I struggled a little when I took it out from the tin, but I was please to see nice sharp corners. With the high butter content from the puff pastry, the bread is nicely flaky and has rich buttery flavour. It definitely nice when it's cut thick and toasted, which brings up the flavour of the butter even more!

I used my own puff pastry but ready-to-roll ones from shops will do the job. Unfortunately I don't know where  you can find these tins in the UK, but they are available on Amazon Japan.

Ingredients:

Strong flour 250g
Sugar 20g
Salt 3g
Yeast 2g
Milk 150g
Butter 20g
Egg 1
Puff pastry 100gx2

1. Mix all the ingredients except puff pastry in a standing mixer. Knead for 10 minutes.
2. Place the dough in a clean bowl and let it rise until the dough is twice the size of original size.
3. Take out the dough on a floured surface. Divide the dough into 2 pieces and shape them into a ball. Cover the dough with cling film and let it rest for 10 minutes.
4. Grease the bread tin. Roll out the dough and fold the puff pastry in. Shape into the tin.
5. When the dough has doubled in size, preheat the oven to 180ºc. Bake for 40 minutes.

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment