Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Chiffon cake with sourdough starter

Lately I am addicted to both making and eating this cake...
It's incredibly light. So light that it seems to melt in the mouth.

I've been testing out chiffon cake recipes that requires no oil. Instead of oil, I decided to use my starter to achieve that nice bit of moisture in a chiffon cake sponge.

I also tried to reduce as much sugar as possible without losing the sweetness and volume. I started off with 90g of sugar but I managed to reduce it to 60g. I think that's probably the limit since the 60g sugar sponge slightly lost its height compared to 90g one, but still tasted really good.


Ingredients:
Egg 4
Flour 50g
Sugar (white or brown) 90g-60g
Starter (strawberry or banana) 20g
Vanilla extract or other flavours of your choice

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºc. Separate the eggs. Add half the sugar to the egg white and the rest in the yolk.
2. Beat the egg white and sugar until it's reached just before stiff peak.
3. Beat the egg yolk and sugar until fluffy, add starter and mix just enough to combine them all (don't mix too much).
4. Sift flour into 3. Mix until there is no flour.
5. Fold 1/3 of meringue gently into 4. Continue the same process two more times.
6. Pour the mixture in the tin. Turn the oven down to 160ºc and bake for 30-40 minutes.

You need a bit of attention when you fold meringue in order not to knock the air out, but otherwise, it's quite simple. And when you see the well risen cake in the oven, it's sure to put a big smile on your face;D

I love Love LOVE having this cake with fresh whipped cream! They just go so well together!

This one was the one I made for Easter.

Mixed spice sponge and a thick layer of cream...
I can (and do) easily have a couple of big slices of these. :D 

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment