Monday, November 19, 2012

Croissant with raisin starter

After making the tiny croissants, I had an urge to make proper croissants.

This time I decided to use no yeast but my raisin starter. For the raisin starter, I do the same as the raisin yeast, then combine the liquid with the same amount of flour. I feed the starter for 3 days (I do 'water : flour = 1:1').
I've explained it very simply here but the makings of a starter is a bit more complicated than that and needs a great deal of attention... I'm still experimenting in order to achieve 'the one'. Anyway..., hopefully I will be able to share the details of the raisin starter on another post some time soon.

So... back to the croissants! The process of folding a sheet of butter is very similar to puff pastry. I have made an illustration below to show you how to do it. Hope that will help. ;) One thing to remember is to work quickly in order to keep the butter cold. We don't want the butter to melt into the dough.

After hours of preparation, I finally got my croissants! They weren't as airy as French ones, but still nice and crisp, very good indeed! I say they are more like 'Le Croissant au Japon' (forgive my french...;D). They were so addictive that I had a few for breakfast and five (or maybe more... I lost count...) for lunch... They didn't make it for dinner...

I shouldn't think about the amount of butter I consumed from them..., well, I don't care... I went for a run the following morning anyway...;)

Ingredients:

Raisin starter 200g
Flour 400g
Milk 200g
Sugar 50g
Butter 40g
Salt pinch
Butter (for folding in) 230g

1. Take the raisin starter out from the fridge to bring it to room temperature.
2. Combine all the ingredients and knead in the standing mixer for 10 minutes.
3. Leave it in the fridge overnight.
4. Prepare butter for folding in the dough. Wrap the butter with cling film and make a sheet of 20cmx 20cm square. Rest it in the fridge.
5. Take put the dough from fridge and roll it out to 40cm x 40cm square.
6. Fold the butter in (see below for how to do it). Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
7. Repeat the process two more times.
8. Wrap the dough in a cling film and rest it overnight.
9. Roll out the dough to 3-4mm thickness. Cut each edge so that you have a nice rectangle shape.
10. Cut the dough into triangles. Make a small cut on the short side.
11. Roll the triangle from the wide end to the pointed end. Place the croissants on a baking tray, cover with a cling film, and leave them for 3-4 hours.
12. Preheat the oven to 200ºc.
13. Egg wash the croissants and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the croissants are lightly brown.




Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment