Tuesday, April 22, 2014

'Crones'

I made something highly addictive the other day... Layered scones and I'm calling them 'Crones' because they are like cross between scones and croissants... ;)

My intention was to make really flaky scones with my sourdough starter. So I used the folding technique like you do with croissants or puff pastry but without actually folding that 'crazy' (but nice...) amount of butter.

Ingredients:
•Flour 300g
•Salt 2g
*Milk 50g
*Egg 1
*Starter (Banana yeast) 100g
*Honey 20g
Butter (diced and chilled) 50g

1. Combine all the wet ingredients (*) in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In a Ziploc bag combine all the dry ingredients (•), and butter. Rub the Ziploc bag to mix in the butter.
3. Add 1 into 2 and keep rubbing the bag until everything in the bag comes together.
4. Roll out the dough while it's still in the bag. Put it in the fridge.
5. Fold and roll out the dough at least 3 times. (See here for how you roll out and fold.)
6. Finally preheat the oven to 200ºc. Roll out the dough to 2cm thick and cut the way you like! ;D
7. Put the Crones in the oven and turn the oven down to 180ºc and bake for 20-25 minutes.

I've used my banana yeast this time but I'm sure strawberry yeast will do too;) If you like sweeter taste, I recommend you add one table spoon of brown sugar to the dry ingredients.

The great thing about this recipe is that once you prepared the dough and put it in the fridge, you can come back to it whenever you have time. I did it over three days! I must have folded more than 3 times thought. ;D

Another good thing about this 'Crone' is that once you prepared the dough in a bag, you can keep the dough in the bag while you do the folding, so you have no flour-mess to clear up. Nice, right?

'Crones'... can they be a next 'Cronuts'? :D


Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment