Friday, January 13, 2012

Non butter cream cake

I love it when I imagine a new recipe in my head then actually try it, and it works! (Well, it's not always the case though... there have been disasters in the kitchen too...)

So, today was one of those experimental days in the kitchen. I had a pot of double cream and egg yolks that were needed to be used. After a bit of calculation about the ingredients in my head (I'm not good at maths and I have what-I-call "animal instinct..." for baking....) I decided to make one of my all time favourite "lemon drizzle cake".

I didn't use butter this time since I thought double cream will give a good amount of fat to the cake. When I mix the all the ingredients, the consistency of the mixture looked promising;)

After about 40 minutes in the oven, the cake came out as well as or even better than I expected! With a drizzle of lemon icing and poppy seeds... It tasted simply awesome. So..., I declare that my experiment was a great success!

Ingredients:

Plain flour 200g
Baking powder 1 tsp
Double cream 250g
Sugar 150g
Egg yolk 2
Egg 1
Lemon juice 3 tbsp

1.Sift flour and baking powder together. Preheat the oven to 180ºc.
2. Combine double cream and sugar in a bowl and mix to just before "soft peaks".
3. Mix in egg yolk, egg and lemon juice to 2.
4. Fold in flour and baking powder.
5. Pour the mixture into a cake tin. Bake in the preheated oven (180ºc) for 40 minutes.
6. When the cake is cooled, decorate with icing and poppy seed.

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment