Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Orange brioche

So, as I mentioned before (on my Orange custard cream post), here is my orange brioche made with my banana yeast starter. It has a orange jam sauce mixed in the dough and orange custard on the top.

I think these buns are a perfect example of how versatile the sourdough starter can be. They've got such a nice soft texture and buttery richness that I'm sure they are pretty different from what you imagine as sourdough bread;)

Being quite a wet dough, it's pretty tricky to handle it so I strongly recommend using a mixer for kneading. You will also need to knead (oops..;D) longer than ordinary loaves (such as my Strawberry yeast bread) and it might be difficult to judge whether the dough is ready or not. But don't worry, when in doubt, we always go back to the basics. Feel the dough, stretch it to see it's nice and stringy and doesn't break.

This rich dough takes more time to prove too. I left the dough overnight to let it prove (it was about 10 hours on a warm day, so it can be longer on a cooler day) and then rested it in the fridge for half a day. This resting action is quite important to make it easy to shape the bread.

I haven't got brioche tins but tartlet tins worked ok. I added some orange custard on the top, then put a small piece of dough to cover it.


Not only were they a good energy booster in the morning, but also they were an excellent treat with coffee in the afternoon. :)

Ingredients:

Starter (banana) 125g
Very strong flour 250g
Salt 3g
Honey 50g
Butter 50g
Egg1+Egg yolk 2 + milk = 168g
Orange jam sauce 2-3tbsp

*I will post the brioche recipe some time but for now, please refer to the Banana buns Recipe for the method.

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment