Thursday, December 6, 2012

Sugar and whisky soaked chestnuts

After I prepared the foraged chestnuts to be cook, I kept the nice looking ones to make sugar and whisky soaked chestnuts. My intention was to make a jar of it and keep it until Christmas for the Christmas baking....but..., last night the jar came to an end... My willpower was too weak...

I cooked the chestnut with half the amount of sugar to the chestnuts and enough water to cover them. When the chestnuts were cooked, I added half a cup of whisky. It wasn't too alcoholic but I could still taste the whisky which was nice.

The chestnuts was kept soaked in the liquid they were cooked in, and they soaked up the flavour more and more each day. When I got near the end, they were so aromatic and tasty that I knew they had to go...

So, there will be no whole chestnuts anymore for Christmas but we still have plenty of chestnuts jam which might appear in Christmas baking. :)

Enjoyed the article?

My best content on baking, cakes and breads. Delivered to you for free.



I won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment